In Memoriam: Douglas C. Arthur
Douglas C. Arthur was a longtime attorney who practiced in the northwestern Shenandoah Valley of Virginia for 46 years and served the community in various capacities throughout his storied career.
Mr. Arthur received his Bachelor of Science degree from Virginia Tech and his law degree from Washington and Lee University. After serving his country in the military: two years with the U.S. Army at Fort Benning, Georgia, and Long Binh in Vietnam between 1968-1970, Mr. Arthur returned home to begin his own law practice in Strasburg, Virginia.
Mr. Arthur joined the law firm of McCarthy & Akers, PLC as “Of Counsel” to continue his real estate and municipal representation practice and broaden the scope of legal services available in the Strasburg area. Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Arthur ran his own practice in Front Royal, Mount Jackson, and Strasburg, Virginia. Throughout the course of his legal career, he handled roughly 17,000 cases across the spectrum of areas of law. He continued his practicing in Strasburg until his retirement in July 2016.
Among his many civic activities, he served as president of the Strasburg Chamber of Commerce and as board member for the Shenandoah County School Board, Strasburg Museum, Strasburg Community Library, Wayside Foundation of the Arts, and Belle Grove, and many others. He was a past Chairman of the Lord Fairfax Community College Board. Mr. Arthur was also a well-known musician and was of the founding members of Five of a Kind, a popular area bluegrass band in its day.
Mr. Arthur’s service with local governmental entities and businesses include the following:
- Strasburg Town Attorney for 36 years
- Mount Jackson Town Attorney
- Director of First National Corp. since 1972
- Vice Chairman of First National Corp. until August 13, 2006
- Chairman of the Board of First National Corp. since August 13, 2006
- Chairman of First National Corp. until August 29, 2016
- Chairman and Director of First Bank from November 2006 to August 29, 2016
- Vice Chairman of First Bank
- Secretary of First National Corp.
- Secretary of First Banks Inc. (First Bank)
- Director of First Banks Inc. until August 29, 2016
- Vice Chairman of Shenandoah Telecommunications Co., and served as Lead Independent Director since 2009 and Director since 1997